Thursday, May 29, 2008

Medical Metropolis, Texas

M.D. Anderson is amazing and frankly, overwhelming all at the same time. Imagine downtown OKC and think every building in downtown is a medical building. It’s that big. Buildings, upon buildings, of doctors and patients.

We met with my mom’s doctor yesterday. So far, I am super impressed, but how could you not be impressed with doctors at M.D. Anderson? I mean, c’mon, these are the best and brightest in oncology. Dr. Ueno is brilliant and upbeat. He is talking about our “options” and that’s a word we all really like to hear.

Unfortunately for Mom, she is undergoing two days worth of additional testing, but we have to know everything, right? Dr. Ueno found some inaccuracies and has more questions that only testing can answer. We have to be 100% clear before we start any new treatment. We hope to meet with him again next week to determine our best course of treatment.

In our “medical community”, everyone is here to visit a doctor. All the hotels in this area, including ours, are full of patients here for treatment and consultation. My Dad said he felt like he was “in the home” yesterday. While the hotel is nice (and has a lovely bar that Dad & I visited last night), it does seem a little retirement community-ish. LOL.

Not to say everyone here is older. While I didn’t see any children yesterday, I did see many young people wearing masks. It will make you take stock of your own life very quickly.

I hope to update you again later. Hope you are all enjoying the start of summer.

BTW, Happy Birthday to Sean!!!!

What was my gift to him? I left him for three days alone with the girls. Gift or Punishment? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sean!! Leslie, I was so glad to see that you had posted from there, keep us posted on things- your pics from the beach last week were great, BTW. Love , Camille