Friday, May 30, 2008

Letter of Intent

I am writing this post because if I say these things out loud, they are real. In the course of this past year, my mom’s diagnosis has really made me start thinking. That sounds really simple, but I can’t think of a better way to say it. I don’t want to get all melancholy and morose, but watching a loved-one battle a potentially life-threatening disease puts not only their life in perspective, but also your own.

That said, the little voice in my head is getting louder and it’s saying that I have to take better care of myself. Sure, I wear sunblock most days (due to deadly skin cancer that runs on my father’s side of the family) and try to get some exercise. But, I keep thinking that I really could do more, not just for me, but as cliché as it sounds, for the world.

Yes, we all know that I am a “hippie-liberal” as Sean says (he is too, frankly). I totally could have rocked Woodstock, but I digress….

I have decided to alter my diet in hopes of making my health better, saving a few animals and hopefully reducing the chances of some crappy disease popping up into my life. Laugh if you will (and I’m sure some of you will), but I becoming a pescatarian. A what? A Pescatarian - those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Eventually, I would love to become a vegetarian, but I’m trying to be somewhat realistic. Giving up chicken will be hard enough.

Those who know me well know that I’m not a big meat eater anyway…steak and bacon aren’t favorites. I just want to make a change (this helps the environment a bit, too) and try it out. You may not believe that I can do it and that’s fine. I may not be able to, but I am going to try. I’m going to gradually phase out various meats and start adding lots more fruits and veggies. Never fear - I will still bake naughty, delectable treats. Crisco is vegetable shortening and makes excellent sugar cookies and cappuccino frosting.

Oh ya, one more thing. I gave up diet soda. Haven’t had any since Sunday. I won’t say it’s been easy, but it certainly hasn’t been hard.

So, there. I’ve said it outloud and that makes it real. Call me crazy, but this is something I’ve thought about for a long time. I want to try it and summer seems like the best time.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! I gave up diet sodas for about 7 weeks, but caved in during a stressful work week. I'm trying it again though, starting yesterday.
Another thing to check out is watch where your food comes from! So many frozen veggies, etc. come from China. Many fruits and vegetables come from who knows where. As my budget allows, I'm trying to eat more local and organic. It's not easy, but I hope will be worth it in the long run.
Here http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php is a list of fruits and veggies ranked by pesticide loads. If you'd rather not click on a link, google "fruits and vegetables to eat organically" and it's the first hit.
Good luck. I can't yet give up steak or bacon--they are favorites, but I have drastically cut back. Beans and grains have really taken on a larger role in my diet.

Stacie said...

I commend you and wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

I cant imagine anyone telling you that you cant do something that youve set your mind to. It will take some think-ahead shopping & recipe diving, but you can definitely satisfy any meat craving with hearty fish and veggies! I know you can do it- I wish Shannons diet would allow me to, but hes a meat man! -Camille