Friday, November 24, 2006

The Loss

The Holidays are always hard. While a break from our day-to-day lives, the hustle and bustle of family is joyful, yet tiring. Like every year, I am thankful for my family, good health and this year, the safe arrival of Baby P.

However, a dark cloud settled over my house (and heart) when my terrier, Bailee, died the night before Thanksgiving.

I won’t lie. Wednesday night I was devastated and did a fair amount of crying. Sean was a comfort and the doctors at the veterinary clinic were supportive and sensitive. It was sudden and shocking.

I know that an animal’s death is not even close to losing a loved one. I wouldn’t pretend it even reached that level. But, Bailee was my dog since college. I got her at a time when I was struggling and she’s seen me through many good and bad times since. While we battled from time to time, she was a good dog and we loved her.

So, this year I give thanks for a different reason. I am thankful Bailee’s death was sudden and I’m thankful that she didn’t suffer. I am thankful that she had a good home, regular meals and a warm bed at night.

I’m thankful for Bailee and her life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, so sorry about that Leslie! That's terrible. Bad timing, right at the holidays, but I am glad she did not suffer.

My parents dog died on Christmas Day a few years back and even though he was a bit of a pain at times, it was so sad, especially because it was a holiday.

ginny said...

that is sooo frickin sad, Leslie. No matter what you say, losing a pet is like losing a family member. That dog was so dang cute, too. Sorry, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Wow- I can't believe it- I just saw her Tuesday. That breaks my heart, I'm so sorry. -camille