Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Indulge Me

I like to write a preachy, soapbox post every now and then, so as usual, please indulge me.

Over the past six months, I learned more about breasts and breast cancer than one should know. Basically, cancer and boobs always on my mind.

So, recently, I nervously ask my doctor during a routine physical about a lump I had. While he wasn’t overly worried about this, he did think getting a mammogram was probably smart. Last week, I went for me first mammogram. Let me say it wasn’t that bad. I was expecting an awful experience, but seriously gals, not bad. Not even uncomfortable, just awkward.

What I learned is that my initial lump was nothing, but the test did show a small tumor in the same breast. I am glad to report that after a biopsy yesterday the tumor is benign and I (and Sean) breathed a serious sigh of relief.

All this is to say, that I had a very enlightened discussion with my new favorite doctor at Oklahoma Breast Imaging. I told her about my friends, who are young mothers, worrying about not feeling or detecting a lump until it’s too late. Here’s her advice and I think it’s great for any woman:

*She says all women’s breasts are lumpy and bumpy. Keep track of your lumps and know what’s normal for you.

*If you notice a new lump, watch it for one month. If it gets smaller or goes away, it’s not cancer. Why? Cancer won’t just go away or shrink. Pretty simple.

*If after one month, your lump stays the same or gets bigger, have it checked out.

*However, even with all of this, if you are concerned or think something isn’t right, go to the doctor. Bottom line: we know what’s right or wrong with our bodies, so if you think you need to see a doctor - GO!

Alright that’s it, enough for today – thanks for indulging! I will return shortly to the obligatory Christmas posts and stories of crazy girls. I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Stacie said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing the information. I'm so happy to hear that you're okay. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this info! I am sooo glad that everything is well with you!

Anonymous said...

Good info about the lumps, mine are terrible and so hard to feel for anything! Sorry you had to go get all that crap done. But the Coale girls and their boobies are doin good!

ashli said...

Good info! Way to be proactive!