Thursday, February 23, 2006

To Potty or Not To Potty…That is the Question.

I know, bad Shakespeare reference, but this really is the dilemma in our house. Millions of families before mine have successfully maneuvered through potty-training waters, so to speak. And Cate is barely 2, so I shouldn’t be worried right? I keep thinking that by now she should have at least done something in the potty, even if by accident. She will actually sit on the potty for a few minutes, but I think she is starting to think the potty is like the library…just a great place to sit and read books.

At this point, she may be playing mind games with Mommy. A few weeks ago, after demanding that grandma put diapers on her grocery list, grandma said, “Anyone who can ask me to buy diapers can certainly wear big girl panties.” What was Cate’s reply? A deadpan, “Not yet.” It was absolutely one of the funniest things she’s ever said (I think it was pretty smart, actually). More importantly, it clearly demonstrated that she understands the game, but she isn’t ready to play.

So we wait. Stay tuned…we’ll keep you posted.

No comments: